I would like to start off today’s post by reminding you that what you are doing matters. You are a part of a vision that was established to change the world that we live in. You are impacting lives and making a difference. You have been given the responsibility of continuing the good work of your mission. Don’t quit, continue to educate yourself with tools that will make you better at what you do. Continue to deliver the message of positive hope and direction to your team. Continue to reach out to donors, build relationships and keep dreaming!
These five rules for finding more major gifts will help you continue on the path you have begun out on!
1. Expand the base of generous annual fund donors. Focus on generating more annual fund donors that are able to give $1,000 or more. As you spend time cultivating a relationship with these donors you will find they are capable and willing to gift in addition to their annual donation for special purposes.
2. Get more people involved as volunteers. Identify meaningful ways to get board members, donors, prospects and other capable individuals involved with your ministry. Let them serve on committees, bring them in to sign letters, ask for their help hosting and running events, etc. The more ownership people have in your organization the more ownership they will take in its success.
3. Identify compelling funding opportunities. Develop an extensive and attractive list of funding ideas you can share with would-be donors. Lists can generate excitement because tangible needs can be met immediately, allowing everyone to feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.
4. Recognize existing donors in public ways. Do feature stories on existing donors and their gifts. Recognize them at events, remembering that real lives and real stories are the most compelling way to plant seeds in the minds of other would be donors.
5. Keep your eyes on the prize. Don’t get stuck choosing the less important and often time consuming tasks: meetings, reports, internal projects. Keep prioritizing your contacts and every single week make sure you contacting major gift prospects