I have the great honor of a having a Godly mentor. His name is Dr. Mark Dillon and he is the Vice President for Advancement at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois. Recently Mark published a book called, Giving and Getting in the Kingdom, an amazing book on the fundamentals of fund raising in the Kingdom of God.
I hope you will read Mark’s book as I believe the principles outlined there will help your ministry look at development through brand new eyes. I want to give you just a small taste of what the powerful concepts in this book can do to breathe life and focus into your fundraising efforts.
How do you motivate those who are uninspired to give?
You teach them. You remind them.
1. When we commit to generosity we demonstrate that God, not money, comes first in our lives.
2. Giving can be offered from gratefulness for God’s abundant grace given to us.
3. Giving allows us to be obedient to God’s Word.
4. We can trust God alone for His provision and use of our resources for His service.
5. We should be able to give with joy, remembering that our gifts will benefit others and encourage them in the grace of giving.
6. When we give with compassion, we reflect God’s compassion.
7. We have the freedom to give because our hope rests not in earthly things that will soon pass away but in the eternal things that will never perish.
“Take every opportunity to motivate God’s people to live and act countercultural in the use of their resources. Many will respond to bold, clear proclamation of these truths.”
Dr. Dillon is so right! When we remind people about the bigger picture and teach them how to act in light of their faith, we also allow them the opportunity to return back to the heart of giving and the feet of worship. Listen, it is so easy to make our jobs about asking for money. We can even get really good at it, having systems that are thoughtful and effective. But what if we stopped merely asking and also started to teach? What if we reminded them that giving comes out of response to our Creator God! Do you not think that God will move hearts to understanding and cause generosity so sincere that the message spoken will be of an undeniable God with unmatched worth? Do we sometimes forget that He has plans to reach the world that you and I do not even have the capability to imagine?
I know you are going to enjoy reading Giving and Getting in the Kingdom and I would love to hear your response to the book, and I would love to hear the stories that come from your reading it. God is moving the hearts of His people, and how blessed are we to have jobs that puts us in the front row to watch Him at work!
I would really enjoy hearing your response to this blog. If you are interested in talking about your ministry and own opportunities for generosity, or if you need assistance in finding your ministry’s ‘WHY’ please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 616-662-1953. Thank you for becoming a part of the conversation!